Friday, October 23, 2009

Teamwork

On Wednesday morning I got a call from a girl I'd never met inviting me to go to a "short play English competition." A little before the event I called her and asked her if I could bring my two American friends. She mentioned some thing about them sitting in the audience which made me wonder if I was not going to be in the audience. Turns out I was judging this competition, and it's approximately 100 contestants. Huh. Who new? After ten plays of epic love stories and dramatic deaths peppered with various people singing to boy band songs in Chinglish the competition ended and we started talking to some freshmen that we met.















I got the sweet chance to talk to some girls about how my transition to from high school to college was difficult because I was dating a boy that wasn't good for my relationship with the father. I was sharing a little bit about how the father called me back.

Just as I directed the girls' attention over to Mike as an example of a man who follows the father he was practicing a new Chinese word that his friends were teaching him. After he said it a couple times they translated it.... A swear word... Good timing.

The girls I was talking to knew that the boys had tricked him into saying it. They laughed. No harm done.... Freshmen....

4 comments:

  1. I read the entire first paragraph thinking this was Mike.
    The second paragraph brought mixed emotions, until I discovered it was Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Em, we just got internet so I'm catching up on my blogs (and writing on my own blog). I just about wet my pants reading all of our blog entries. Sounds like you guys are having a great time getting settled there. Thanks for the laughs! Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was hilarious. We love and miss you guys. It seems just the other day, Mike, you were walking out of staff meeting in the Equipping room. I will stop and pray for you both. I love you guys.

    ReplyDelete