Thursday, October 8, 2009

Grilled Face = Bad

We've been blessed with an apartment that is within bike riding distance of almost anywhere we would need to go. There are bikes and electric scooters everywhere here and we've been weaving in and out of them all week exploring our city. A couple days ago we made a run to Auchan (basically a super Wal-Mart on Chinese steroids) to get some shelves for our apartment. So with a big box of shelves on my bike and two boxes strapped to the back of Mike's bike we headed home. Right outside of the bike parking area there are these short red posts placed about a foot apart so that you can't take the carts out of the store. I'm not known for my agility and riding through these posts in a crowd of people, bikes, scooters, food carts, taxis, etc was always a little unnerving. I had previously navigated these posts on my bike before without consequence but on this particular day I caught my pedal on a post and was quickly headed straight for an old woman with a food cart grilling sausage on a stick. Luckily I caught myself just inches away from grilling my face next to her smelly sausage.


Auchan - Our store of choice - I don't know if you can tell from the picture but the store is huge. I couldn't even see the other side of the store from where I was standing. You might also notice that it's a little bit crowded.


Typical ride home from the store

5 comments:

  1. I loved getting to ride bikes everywhere when I was over there! I hope things are going well!
    -Jason Burdine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man....Auchan!
    What a fantastical venue. We estimated from lower 2000's to 3000 people there at a given time.
    Anyways, hopefully the smell wasn't too overwhelming. I'm glad you got the Auchan experience!

    P.S. Did you take your receipt to the "Prize Raffle"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey guys! congrats on the big move! the good-byes are the hardest part i think! we have auchan here too, except it's called alcampo (spanish version of course). i love your description of it though. :) maybe you be blessed in this huge transition time. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got the package you sent me before you left. Excited to see more movies and pictures of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. smelly sausage? bet its not as bad as the smelly tofu... love you mike!

    ReplyDelete