Tuesday, November 16, 2010

So there I was...

Every month we go our prenatal check-ups at Nine Dragon Hospital, and for the most part we have been pretty pleased. There are two English speaking OB doctors and both of them seem to know what they are talking about. But here are a few fun stories.

So there I was... laying on the table. Dr. was doing his thing, taking measurements poking around and he says to me "so I guess this is your fat." I didn't take it too hard cause in China it's not considered rude to comment on someone's weight, but still not really something you wanna hear when your 6 months preggo and your skinny jeans are but a distant memory.

So there I was... sitting in my Dr.'s office discussing the results of my most recent blood test. The doctor tells my my iron levels are little low. His suggestion? Eat more organs and blood. In China they like things like heart liver kidney etc, and they also sometimes serve a soup made with congealed blood. I'm sure these dishes are in fact high in iron, but really? "Eat more organs and blood" sounds like something zombies and vampires would say, not doctors.

Even though someone might have a western language and a western education, they will always have a Chinese culture. This doesn't mean we have a bad doctor. We would never expect our Chinese Dr. to act like and American, just like Mike and I will never be Chinese. Culture isn't a bad thing it's just different and interesting.


PS Aren't the nurses cute in their little hats?

2 comments:

  1. Emily,

    You know we have a factory in Fredericksburg we go to that regularly processes items from Tyson foods. The items that need processing are shipments of chicken liver and hearts and blood. Yummy!Probably a good source of iron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) excited for this to happen! (not the blood and oragns but the child)
    heart u guys!

    ReplyDelete