Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mike's travels

During Spring Festival aka Chinese New Year, we have a little more free time. Mike was recently invited to a friend's home town to visit for a few days. Seeing our friends' homes and meeting their family is a really great way to help us gain a better understanding of the culture, so Mike accepted an invitation to go to Kevin Smith's house. (It's common for Chinese students to give themselves an English name but this guy is extra ambitious because he also gave himself a last name. Hilarious. Plus one of my good friends just started dating a Kevin Smith. The whole thing always makes me giggle.)


A pagoda

Dang it feels good to be a gangster... or a pirate... I can't really tell which look he is going for. I think the pigeon is going for gangster.

Mike was also "blessed" with the opportunity to try new and "unique" cuisine while on his trip. Pictured above is whole squid on a stick. His dining adventures also included dog, nasty hot dog, chicken stomach, raw meatball, fat, various roots, and duck neck. Needless to say he spent most of Thursday night and Friday morning harfing. Yikes!

5 comments:

  1. ...and I'm not so sure I want to go eat lunch now. Thank you very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! Alex did the same thing to me (only kinda with chicken heart and foot)!! And Kevin was so nice...that's so awesome that he invited Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike and Emily-
    I love the blog updates! I keep you guys in my pr's every Monday, and as the father leads. Mike, I hope you're staying encouraged by great and precious promises. Emily, if you're like me, we never get stress induced ulcers, but we give them to a lot of people :). So far I'm staying positive about IA City stuff. I know leaving Ames will not be without its challenges. You guys know all about that, and I'm sure I'll have those moments where I wonder what the heck i've done.

    Off to bed. Hang in there and thanks again for the blog updates... well written, engaging, and most importantly, i always laugh.

    love,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff. love the blog updates, its so encouraging to see what you guys are up to, and I promise some popcorn and brownie mix is coming your way ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, I like reading your blog, emily :)

    ReplyDelete