Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Emily's Travels

I also was invited to a friends house in a neighboring city. My friend and I spent the afternoon shopping, then awesome pictures in the photo booth. It really felt like I was reliving my high school days. After shopping we headed to her house where her mom had prepared us a feast. They even had a knife, spoon and fork for me, which actually proved to be more difficult than the chopsticks would have been, but it was still very hospitable.

Half way through the meal I was presented with something curious in my bowl. Grey. Squishy on the outside. Bones in the middle. Claws. I knew it was a foot, but from what?... My friend smiled excitedly and said "have a try, it is good for health" I smiled graciously at my friend and took a bite. Hmm, dark meat with a seafood flavor. My friend looked it up in her dictionary. Ahh yes, of course soft-shell turtle.

Dinner was tons of fun. I did my best to speak Chinese, and felt pretty good about it. My friend's father thought my Chinese more and more hilarious throughout the night, but that could have been all the alcohol he was drinking.


1 comment:

  1. well at least I didn't want to puke when I read yours :) I made sure I didn't have food in my hand first just in case! Turtle would be interesting to try. What did you think about it?

    tamara b in elgin

    ReplyDelete