Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Man vs. Meat


Learned BBQ. If you have ever been to our city, you know this place. It's a bit of a legacy among our team and the voluteers before us. This place is kinda like the Iowa State Fair because everything comes on a stick. Meat, fish, garlic, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc put on a skewer and cooked over the smokey charcoal. Add a some of their "special sauce" and a little gourmet powder (aka MSG) and what do you get??? Delicious that's what you get.

Since oh, I don't know, the second day we got here Mike has been dreaming of eating 100 sticks of meat at Learned BBQ. I mean, if you're going to dream, dream big right? But the 100 stick challenge had to be attempted in the correct setting. I mean you have to have competition and witnesses for an accomplishment such as this. So when 9 college guys showed up on our doorstep, it was perfect.

The waiters were a little shocked when you order 600 sticks of beef and mutton, but they came through. On that chilly evening, Mike and his men met the challenge and devoured 100 sticks each. Mike topped it off with some ice cream and a bike ride home. I can't decide if I should be proud or a little bit disgusted.

1 comment:

  1. i vote for proud. oh how I miss our lanzhou hamburgers. i talk about that lamb on a stick whenever china comes up. eat a couple of sticks for me!

    ReplyDelete