Monday, May 17, 2010

America

A few of you may know that we recently took a quick trip home to America for my little brother's wedding. (Apologies to all our friends who we didn't get to see or didn't even know we were within the 48 contiguous states) We were only there for a week, travel and wedding events included.

When we got on the plane, none of our siblings had any "romantic prospects" and we were prepared to be in-country for a full two years at the very least. When we found out we had been cleared to come home for a visit I had mixed emotions. Of course I was happy. It would be a total bum if we'd have missed Al's wedding, but I also kinda felt gypped. It felt like all that crying I did about being gone for two years was kinda wasted, you know? For a girl, I'm not much of a crier, but before we left I put in some serious time - all for what?? 6 months??!!! That's only a quarter of our time here which means I could have saved my self 3/4 of my total cry time. I could have been so much more productive! Ok, you're right. We all know I'm not really that productive in general, but just think of how I could have improved my Solitaire game with that time. Sigh.

We have been here 6ish months now and we are finally feelin pretty settled here. When I found out that we were going home I was a little worried that I'd have a relapse of homesickness, but Father took care of me. It seemed like there was potential for everything to go emotionally awry*, but it just...didn't. Don't you love it when that happens? The wedding went great - one of Mike's best I'd say, we got to do some shopping, and hang out with the fam. And we jumped back into the flow of China life smoothly. We even felt really prepared for the summer team to come. Woot.


Ok, one funny story from the wedding. Picture this. Wedding reception. Hickory Hall complete with neon palm tree. Mike and I are in a dance circle with his parents, my mom, and my aunt and uncle, a pretty happening group. Mike's dad, while busting a serious move says "Man, this is great we need to get this song" in reference to "Ice Ice Baby." I don't know, it made us laugh.

*awry is very difficult to spell, I was even beyond the reach of spell check.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad everything went smoothly MLE. You are doing a great work, and I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete