Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Chinese 201

Day One. Today we started our second term of Chinese language learning. It's kinda like being in kindergarten, except it's like the hardest kindergarten ever. We learn words like "winter" and "play", we watch cartoons, and the teacher shhhh's you if you talk in class. Our teacher is pretty good, but when she bangs on the chalkboard to get our attention she kinda reminds me of one of those mean nun-teachers in the movies.

Our language skills are improving daily to be sure, but sometimes it's a battle. When you remember us please pr. that we would be amazing at Chinese so that we can effectively share what's on our hearts. Many students can speak English, but sometimes that just doesn't work. Here's a recent text message conversation with one of my "English-speaking" sisters to illustrate our need to speak the language.

Em: What time should we meet?

Her: I will meet you by bus

Em: What time?

Her: after one hour because i have class on morning

Em: Do you want me to meet you at your campus by the bus?

Her: I confusion, or i take taxi, please don't angry

Em: No problem I am not angry :) will you come to my campus or will I come to your campus?

Her: I want to go to your campus but I can't stand the gas smell

Em: That's ok I will come to your campus

Her: But I really want to come to your campus

Em: Ok what time is convenient?

Her: oh emily, i think just you can come here! I would like to go but I can't! will you blame?

Em: No I will not blame I am happy to come to your campus. I will call you when I arrive.

1 comment: